Monday, February 26, 2018

Heavy Motive Power

Last week our local On30 group had a get together/operations session at Mike's B&H On30 layout. I wanted to bring something to show and have had this loco sitting around 85% complete for quite a while. So, I finished it off and snapped some shots.


My Arroyo lighting is fairly bad for side shots but I think one can get the idea. The locomotive is a Bachmann On30 2-8-0, the one based on the M de M 30-inch line in Mexico. (Hey an actual 30-inch gauge prototype, of course no one models that!) A great locomotive with a tender. I have one that has been supped up to meet the prototype but when I saw the Backwoods Miniatures side tank build kit for the locomotive, I really wanted one. Backwoods no longer is in business but I picked my kit up, well, let's just say a long time ago.

I initially intended to re-gauge the loco to On3, which I did and it ran great! However, once I removed the tender, I just couldn't get the locomotive's electrical pickups to suffice for a 2-8-2T. So, I re-gauged it back to On3 with significant electrical pickup improvement.

The loco has a Soundtrax mini Tsumani with a current keeper and speaker in the cab and coal bunker. She runs very well and looks totally cool. The only problem is those steps are WIDE! My Arroyo module has some tight clearances, and the steps hit some of my turnout throws (Ooops! My bad). She's too big for the Arroyo anyway.

So, I took her down to Mike's for a test run. The last time I had her down there, the pony truck would short out on the cylinders on his 18-inch radius curves. So, I increased it's length by a tiny bit and wanted to see her turn the drivers on a longer run!


She ran quite well as expected but did have a couple of problems. Mike's turnout throws are based on HO clearances and her steps wouldn't clear them (sound familiar?). They also hit scenery on his 18-inch radius curves. I did get her to run well over a large portion of the back section of his layout but. I think she'll need 20-22-inch radius curves and a layout with proper On30 clearance's for scenery and turnouts. She's 98% complete, needs a little touch up painting and a little weathering.

She's looking for a good home.................

No comments:

Post a Comment