Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Shingles Anyone?

No, not that kind of shingles, the wood kind. I finished shingling the outside of the Albion engine house. Now for the roof, well, maybe some procrastination first.


While taking a brake from shingling, I worked on several other "Albion" projects: started the potato house, added the milk platform, added the ice house/tilton's potato house addition to the left front end on the module. Managed to get a base coat of scenery on it this week, including the three road crossings.


The last two evenings, while waiting for scenery to dry, I started on the passenger car, which as the previous GME kit, is moving along quite nicely.

So, the Albion module is progressing nicely. Lots more shingles to do, lots more, lots, lots more.........

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Narrow Gauge Union Meet

Saturday, April 1st was the Narrow Gauge Union meet in Roanoke, VA. I had been scrambling to finish half the Albion module for the meet. Sometimes it is good to have  a deadline to push getting something finished.

 It was the first time I had the turntable wired up. It ended up working well due to the frog juicers wired into the layout. I till want to wire it up properly but was surprised that the juicers worked for the turntable. Interesting.

 The module ran very well. Turnouts worked, no derailments.
Several folks kept trying to get On30 cars onto the rails. Seems that a two foot module modeling two foot was confusing.
The completed coal shed is in the background. Since there aren't any pictures of the roof to indicate whether it had singles or not, it likely did, I used tar paper. Tarpaper will provide something a little different since all the other structures are shingled, many even on for the siding.

 Hank had is On18 module running. It ran the whole day. I really like his shadow box, looks great.
 Mike and Rick had their modules up. Rick had really expanded his into a nice version of the Gump Stump and Snowshoe. I got interrupted taking pictures and failed to get any.


Several folks from Lynchburg were in attendance with modules. There was even some large scratch build models on display. 
Several excellent clinics were given. Steve covered coke ovens and coke manufacturing, using some cool graphics. Chris Riley gave a clinic on the new MicroMark laser cutter, Hank did one on making trees with wire and I covered Albion on the WW&F. The laser cutter is nice but I can't justify the expense at this point. If I was starting out and had to build a lot of buildings, I could easily see the justification.  We'll see..........



Thursday, March 30, 2017

Albion Truntable

The structural part of my Albion turntable is completed. Time to finish the pit and wire it up. Looks good and turns well. More tomorrow?


Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Albion Coal Shed

Major progress today. I managed to get the turntable base in, which allowed me to get the turntable and engine house track in. Got both wired, ties and rail painted and track ballasted! Three quarters of the turntable pit has been lined and the coal shed just needs a floor, roof and coal load. Got the roof of the tool shed weathered. Ran a train, fun switching the module. I can see the need for a longer tail track but still fun! Definitely enjoying the two foot!




Sunday, March 26, 2017

Turntable Spider


Managed to finally get the turntable spider together today. The turntable is coming along nicely. I can now figure out its proper depth on the layout and get some scenery done. 

The bearing roll very smoothly and I'm happy with how it's turned out. I thought I would certainly be making two, a pilot model and the real thing.




It's always amazing how slow progress is........1/2 the module is starting to come together nicely. 

Monday, February 6, 2017

WW&F Creamery Car 65

Managed to finish my scratch built WW&F creamery car #65. I wasn't happy with the door height, so ended up lowering the door to the proper size. Should have done that before.....I used Grandt Line S scale refeer door hardware, cutting the hinges to match the prototype. I used real glass, what a pain to cut, kept breaking. My car is 28 feet long, instead of the correct 30 feet length. The original drawings of the car were 28-ft, but the wrong car, not #65. Oh, well. Once I realized the later car wasn't around for the era I'm modeling, so I added the windows and decided to just deal with the shorter length. I think it came out well. Just need to paint the trucks and weather it.


Friday, January 20, 2017

Snowplow Arrives in Time for Winter!

I recently completed a Portland Locomotive Works snowplow kit. While the kit represents a Sandy River and Rangely Lakes RR snowplow, since it and the WW&F plows were built by the real Portland, likely off the same or similar plans, I figured it would work well enough for me. Interesting kit, interesting instructions (none, just 3D CAD drawings) and one that went together fairly smoothly. The WW&F had two plows, one kept in Wiscasset and one at Albion, hence, had to build one.