Wednesday, October 14, 2015

No. 1 Gets A Tune-Up

Shay No.1 was my first Bachmann locomotive. It was originally On30, and ran for a short time on the Arroyo Mine RR. I converted it to On3 a long while back, added the new cab, headlight, bell and removed the generator.



The motor has been acting up over the last year or so. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Odd behavior in between. So, I pulled the motor and switched it out with another I had on hand. I was worried that the decoder may be bad, but it seems to be working with the motor replacement. Noticed that three of the gears had cracked and that they were affecting the engine's performance. One gear had been cracked but had not seemed to affect the performance prior. So, two Northwest Shortline gear replacements on the front truck and a plastic Bachmann spare on the rear. Off she goes. Still needs a new cab window and the headlight glued down. Wondering if I should out gear covers on her and a cover over those cylinders............

No comments:

Post a Comment