Sunday, March 15, 2015

More KIL&T Shay Progress On30

After conversing with my friend and expert brass worker Jeff Kraker, I dove into changing the tender. He suggested that I use brass wire for the tender wrap over. I had fairly good success with using his technique on the first try. One end did get bent a little while I was working with it, which made things more difficult than they needed to be. I cut the old top off using a dremel tool cutting disc, then filed to get a flat surface on all three sides. Not a perfect fit but close enough, especially for the first try. The new brass top was mounted onto the tender shell using AC glue.

Once I got the tender shell back on, I finished the dome sander mechanism and sander pipes. Still need to fix the headlight, do some painting, add the other cab door, do some weathering, then add the cab windows. The project is coming along nicely.


Here's one of their shays: http://www.gearedsteam.com/shay/images/kelley_island_lime_n_transport_co_17-sn793.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment