Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Western Expansion

I have been working on an addition to the Arroyo Tram, my On30 western mining excursion based loosely on the Gilpin Tram. The Gilpin Tram was a two foot mining railroad that connected with the Colorado Southern in Central City, Colorado. I've always enjoyed the Gilpin tram and at one time had a small On2 switching layout using some of the equipment.

I think the Gilpin Tram is a perfect fit for On30: Tight curves, lots of mines rather close together, lots of information and drawings of the equipment and buildings. There are ore cars available from GrandtLine, other similar cars from SlimRails, who also sells Gilpin style trucks, and shay conversion kits from Wiseman Model Services.

My addition started out as a 2 x 6 foot lightweight module base that I was going to use with a Virginia modular group. The group fell apart and I could never see myself going to trainshows just to hook up my modules. So, it has been sitting around just waiting to be used. I recently added the legs with rollers, which opened up its use for the Arroyo Expansion.

The expansion will include: A Gilpin Tram style engine house, a water tank, run around, storage track, blacksmith shop, firehouse, hardware store and assay office (last three will be kits from Wild West Models). It shouldn't take more than two years to get it all done! (At the rate I'm moving).

Here is what it looks like so far, turnouts and kits are "in the mail" so to speak.



Here is the Arroyo Tram II track plan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment