Thursday, May 3, 2018

Times are a Chang'n

Its odd how this May seems to be a strong indication of the times, in the hobby at least. As a O scale narrow gauge modeler, times are definitely a chang'n. This month GrandtLine, a major supplier of parts for O, S, and HO narrow gauge parts has closed it's doors.

I have built several of the Grandt Line 8ton and 18 ton porters, dump cars, etc. but have mainly used their doors, windows, nut/bolt/washer details and many, many other offerings for details in my scratch built and kit-bashed projects. I see their closing as a major loss for scratch-builders. It looks like they may sell their line, but I doubt all the offerings will be available. Let's hope for the best. I'm sure its the end of the line for the wonderfully detailed porters.

When Grandt Line announced their closing, I first ordered a bunch of parts and then looked for future alternatives. Some parts, a few, are available from Tichy, some from Foothillls Models and then some from San Juan Car Company. But, alas, San Juan is for sale!!!

Hopefully, they will find a buyer. While I haven't purchased any of their kits or built up cars, I have found their trucks and parts very useful. Argh!

Then, realizing I'm loosing major suppliers for my hobby, I stopped by the Precision Scale Co website only to find, they have sold and are moving!!! Orders must be in by May 4th. Looks like the parts will be available but who knows if and when the entire line will be available. Quickly ordered some much needed shay parts before they might be gone??


Much of these changes are due to those involved getting older and wishing to retire. I understand. But to me it is also a sign of the times. Less and less folks out there are building things. More and more folks in the hobby want pre-built, ready to run equipment. I was hoping the On30 surge would increase those out there building things but not enough, I guess?

In the end, life is all about change. Company's come and go. I'm glad to have purchased and used what these companies have offered and hope to purchase their parts from new suppliers. I hope that they will be available, as my interest in the hobby is more towards building than running.  May is a tough month for us On3 and On2 modelers. Back to the workbench...............

 


3 comments:

  1. I agree. A sad day for me. I am a scratch builder in O and have used a bunch of those little blue packs over the years. I hope someone buys GL and produces again. I did get everything on me list for now, but....

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here, I have a pretty good stash of stuff but just to be safe I ordered enough trucks from SJC and enough hinges from Grandt Line to build 8 more hopper cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, oh. I forgot about those hinges in my order....oops.

    ReplyDelete