Saturday, January 14, 2023

DC&L Shay No.3

 It has been a long and difficult journey to get this locomotive up and running. I've been working on it for at least 8 years. 

I had it built up in about a year, see posts from 2014 and 2015

Shay running

10/27/15

 

Shay Update

11/2/14

 

Early in the journey

10/13/14

After the initial paining, I blew a decoder, broke off the generator stand, among other things and put the locomotive away for quite a while. Recently, while working on another shay project, I pulled it out. Certainly, I should give it another go? Blew another decoder in 30 seconds, wire touched the metal speaker. This time I persevered and finished the difficult sound install by moving the speaker to the firebox and making a plastic housing for the decoder, keep alive in the tender. I installed glass in the windows, used a weathering technique suggested by Jeff Kracker, and made an ok looking coal bin to cover the motor that sticks up rather high. The locomotive runs well, sounds good. I'll add a toolbox, re-railing frog and some details to the running boards as time permits. I also need to get the sound timing down and improve some of the sound effects, like remove the nonexistent air airpump. Right now I want to just sit back and enjoy getting this far. And onto the other project.....










1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed how this Shay came out. Thanks for sticking with it over all that time, and for posting a video so I could see it running and hear it.

    ReplyDelete