Here are the combine sides:
The two car bodies went together amazingly quickly, I thought, wow, that was an easy start!
It was then I noticed a few things that I should have seen before assembly. Note that the baggage doors have the panels outlined instead of cut out? The door ends are the same. Also, there is no trim for under the windows, its just a laser cut line to represent the trim. I thought these two items were rather noticeable, and decided to make some modifications as I moved forward. I really, really wish I had noted this prior to assembly, as it would be MUCH easier to cut out the door panels. I decided to try it on the passenger car first, as I had assembled the combine first. It can be done but use a sharp knife as the sides are plywood, which makes the material more difficult to cut. Getting a slight backcut helped quite a bit. I will likely not be able to do the back cut on the combine.
Here's one side done, one side waiting.....
I carefully glued the trim below the window on all four sides of the car. This involved adding a narrow strip following the laser cut line and then adding an even smaller strip 90 degrees on top. Tricky! I realize they are a bit narrower than the prototype but I thought it was important to use the laser cut line for alignment. I think it came out fairly well and definitely adds dimension to the model.
I narrowed the Bachmann underframe and modified the steps to make it a little closer to the two-footers.
The roof was a little difficult to get to fit correctly. The roof laid flat along the sides but raised on both ends. I had to file the top of the laser cut ends significantly to get them to fit. I little surprising but eventually, they made and acceptable fit. Photo above looks better than the two photo's below. They are is still a work in progress.....
Working on the coupler attachment and the truss rods. I need to order some trucks from Coronado, I hadn't planned on building another combine and passenger car after the two GME kits.
I also started one of the EBT BM&S wood hopper kits. Just like the passenger car kits, the body went together super, super quick. The way the sloping interior boards are put together is very clever and works really well.
I was a little disappointment that the kit did not include the n-b-w and rod for the sides. These cars had significant rods holding the side framework together. I added these details, they were easy and I think add quite a bit to the car. I had to order some extra stuff to finish the car, these cars were rebuilt with truss rods, on the outside of the sides of the car. None of these parts were included but I thought it added to the look. More soon.......
Finally, a little fun from Wild West Models. Super fast builds. Started them this afternoon for something different.
That's all for September!